SIMPLE HOMEMADE LEMONADE
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
10 lemons (for 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice; use more lemons if needed to get to that amount)
8 cups water
Extra lemon slices for garnish, if desired
- Slice two of the lemons into thin slices (try to remove all the seeds and discard).
- In a large bowl, using a potato masher, mash the sugar and the lemon slices until the sugar is completely wet, about 1 minute.
- Juice the remaining 8 lemons (for 2 cups lemon juice; use more lemons, if needed, to get to that amount).
- Add the water and lemon juice to the bowl with the lemon slices and sugar, and stir everything together until the sugar is completely dissolved, 1-2 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer set over a pitcher or large bowl, pressing on the lemon slices a bit to get as much juice as possible; discard solids.
- Chill the lemonade until ready to serve (or serve immediately). Garnish with extra lemon slices, if desired.
As written, this lemonade has the perfect amount of sweetness for me, but it goes without saying that you could adjust the sugar to taste (or try using part honey or other sweetener).