BEEF TIPS AND GRAVY SLOW COOKER
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds stew meat or chuck roast cut into 1 inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon garlic granules
3 tablespoons butter divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups beef broth
1/2 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tsps tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried parsley
½ tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 yellow onion diced
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
12 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- Chunk meat into 1 inch cubes, pat dry with paper towels, then season with salt, pepper, and garlic granules.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, and add beef to skillet, browning it on all sides. Try not to stir too much so you can get a nice sear and a good crust.
- Transfer beef to a 6-QT crock pot. Leave any juices in skillet for gravy.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, to the juices in skillet, and add in your onions, minced garlic and mushrooms. Quick saute for 3-5 minutes until mushrooms start to release their juices, then add mushrooms, garlic, and onions to slow cooker. Leave any juices in pan.
- Return pan to medium high heat and add an additional 1 Tbs of butter to the pan juices (2 if you accidentally poured the juices into your slow cooker). Let butter melt.
- Whisk flour into the butter, until a thick paste has formed. Then add the beef broth, dry red wine, worcestershire, red wine vinegar, tomato paste and herbs stirring it all together.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow gravy to simmer until thickened to the consistency of thick gravy.
- Pour gravy into slow cooker, and stir.
- Place lid on slow cooker, and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-7 hours, until beef is tender. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.