STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM POKE CAKE
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 50 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 white cake mix
- 1/3 C flour
- 1 (3.4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1/3 C vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1/3 C sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 C boiling water
- 1 (6 ounce) box strawberry jello
- 1/2 C cold water
- 1/2 C butter, softened
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 4 Tb milk
- dash salt
- 1 (8 ounce) container cool whip, thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) container fresh strawberries
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make the cake, pour into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl, 1 white cake mix, 1/3 C flour, and 1 box instant vanilla pudding. Toss together to combine.
3. Add 1/3 C oil, 1 1/2 C water, 1/3 C sour cream, 1 tsp vanilla and 4 egg whites. Mix on low for 2 minutes. Scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes, or until the batter is nice and glossy.
4. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into it. Smooth it out with a knife.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes of until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes, then poke holes through it with a fork, about 1/2 an inch apart.
7. Boil 3/4 C water in a large glass measuring cup (in the microwave). Pour 1 (6 ounce) box strawberry jello into the water and stir until the jello is dissolved. Add 1/2 C cold water and stir until combined.
8. Pour the jello water all over the top of the cake, as evenly as you can. It will turn a pretty shade of pink for you. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
9. To make the creamy topping, place 1/2 C softened butter into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add 3 C powdered sugar 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp almond extract, 4 Tb milk and a dash of salt. Mix until smooth and creamy. Add 1 (8 ounce) package of cool whip (completely thawed). Mix well to combine. Spread it evenly over the chilled cake.
10. Slice 1 (16 ounce) container of fresh strawberries and lay them over the top of the cake.
Serve and enjoy!